Search This Blog

Jun 12, 2010

Saying goodbyes


Well, it’s down to less than two weeks. My last day at UNC will be June 24 and I have been saying many goodbyes, to many people. My thinking is about what I have learned from all of them. It is not that people gave me some explicit lessons. But everyone taught me something. Just to learn how someone may think and feel; how one prefers to work and interact, what people value and dislikes – those are all great bits of knowledge, collectively called “experience.”
For example, I learned how to be careful. Once you get in a position that exposes you to many people, with their various interests, quirks, and histories, controlling your impulses, and your ego becomes a critical skill. Don’t send that furious e-mail, keep that comment to yourself, and pick your fights sparingly. Those skills are largely invisible to most people, but the lack thereof becomes quickly apparent. Thanks, Eugene, for teaching me that. I don’t think most of the College appreciates how much you keep them all out of trouble.
Here is a much abbreviated list of thanks. If you’re not on the list - it is not because I am ungrateful. I am just trying to be brief, which is a trick I learned from one of you. Or else, you taught me something we should keep just between us J.
  • Carolyn, for teaching me how to love reports
  • Karon, for always telling the truth
  • Vicky, for always doing the right thing
  • Marita, for embracing change
  • Lynette, for pushing her own limits
  • Jon, for his practical jokes
  • Susan, for teaching me how to be interested in other people
  • Rick, for showing the power of joy in everyday life
  • Gary, for his quiet wisdom
  • Fred, for constantly reinventing himself
  • Mike, for his incredible work ethic
  • Jim, for his weirdness and normality
  • Madeline, for always speaking up her mind
  • Val, for just doing what needs to be done
  • Marsha, for having a real smile
  • Irv, for doing good without asking permissions
  • All the rest of you, for four best years of my life  

I am going to take a break with this blog until early July, but then restart it. My intent is to keep the same name, at least for a while. The Rhode Island College’s mascot is the Anchor Man. I am certain it is a great team, but The Russian Anchor’s Diaries just does not have the same ring. Once a bear…

1 comment:

  1. Susan Schenck10:16 AM

    Sasha, I knew we thought alike! I was going to mention that you should keep teh Russion Bear handle as I could not envision The Russian Anchor or the Russian Sailor. Looking for ward to meeting you once you arrive and settle in at RIC.

    Susan Schenck

    ReplyDelete